Tuesday 3 September 2013

Tzav Rishon

Just had my Tzav Rishon, and what a day it was!

We headed off early to the nearest army office in Tiberias. Having discussed and thought about this day for so long, my mind was buzzing and I was so excited. When we arrived, we waited for our first interviews and Hebrew tests (waiting was a recurring theme of the day). The interview is just a way to introduce yourself to the army so that they can draw up a profile of who you are, where you've come from etc. Within the interview I had my Hebrew test, which involved answering questions like "what do you like to do on holiday" and "why did you make Aliyah?". I then had to fill in the blanks in open-ended sentences, all of which I thought went okay. All this will determine whether or not I have to go to Michve Alon, or army Ulpan. I really hope not!


Jason and I, with our good luck cards from Alexa, another member of the Garin



Lishkat Giyus, the army office where the Tzav Rishon took place

After that I was sent to a room I wasn't meant to be sent to (fun!), and eventually found myself in the Psychtechnic exam room. This test helps builds up your profile, and will determine whether or not I can progress in rank in the army and one day become an officer, so I took it very seriously. It was a half an hour test of completing sequences of shapes under timed pressure. At the end of the first part of the test the computer said that I hadn't completed all the questions, and yet I definitely had. So after a slight inner-panic I told the soldier there what had happened and I was greeted with a smile and "it will be okay", whatever that means....Never have I been so annoyed at a smile. I just really hope it was okay! The results come out on Sunday, so we'll soon see (you get the results from https://www.aka.idf.il/main/giyus/).

After that came the medical. I had my blood pressure, my height and my weight taken and told to pee in a cup. Due to nerves and excitement, my blood pressure reading was sky high and this was immediately noted by the doctor. His first question was where I wanted to serve. I replied that I didn't know exactly but that I wanted to give my all and would love to try out for the special units. He immediately said I couldn't because of the blood pressure reading, at which I began a tirade of angry explanations. I had had this problem before with my medical for Garin Tzabar, and I had had to undergo all sorts of tests with a cardiologist, to be told that my heart was in perfect order. At this the doctor told me to calm down and threatened me with a non-combat profile. I quickly calmed down. However, despite all my notes and forms, I have been referred to an army cardiologist in a couple weeks' time. Then, having to strip naked and having my nether-regions examined by a middle-aged male doctor was no real comfort (although no problems there thankfully).

So where am I at the moment? If the cardiologist gives me the go-ahead I receive a 97 profile and can try out for the special forces units. If not, I will receive a 72 and can apply for tanks, artillery, and engineers, amongst others. Of course I am frustrated, but these things have a way of working themselves out, and whatever happens, I will be doing my very best for my country. I will be happy wherever I end up.

On a practical note, today has made me think once again about tanks. I have thought of putting tanks as my first choice for a while. They might not have the immediate prestige about them, but they are respected by all. Lochamim (fighters) in tanks work so hard, and their work is of such vital importance. I quite like the idea of a "get on with it" kind of tafkid. Added to which, progression in ranks can happen a lot faster in tanks, something that could be important to a 22 year old like me. I am thinking hard of putting tanks as my first choice, even if I receive a 97 profile. We shall see. Until then, I just need my ticker to get the all-clear (again).

Tomorrow night is Rosh Hashana and I will be with my family in Ra'anana. Saying "Shehecheyanu", thanking God for bringing us to this point, will be especially poignant for me - my first Rosh Hashana as an Israeli. I wish everybody a Shana Tova, a happy and a healthy new year.

שנה טובה

No comments:

Post a Comment