Monday 16 September 2013

My Profile (finally) and my fight for Yom Sayarot

Finally finally finally I have received my profile...a 97!! Happiness doesn't quite describe the feeling. On Sunday I made my way, along with another guy from the garin, back to the Lishkat Giyus in Tiberias. After a two and a half hour wait I was called in to see the cardiologist. By the way, during my long wait I felt very old, surrounded by 16 year old Israelis all going for their Tzav Rishon. It hit home how, though the 16 year olds might not realise it, they are given such big responsibilities at such a young age.

I was given an ECG test and the cardiologist listened to my heart and took my blood pressure. Again, the blood pressure was high, however I had come armed with papers from a cardiologist in the UK explaining that all was fine with my heart. Without delay, the Israeli cardiologist pronounced my heart fit for full service and gave me a 97 profile. I couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief and smiled a huge grin. After all that, all the frustration of the last two weeks, I was given a top profile.

As mentioned in the previous post, the army saw fit to send me to Michve Alon in December. Although I could retake the Hebrew test in November, it would mean that even with a 97 profile I could still not be allowed to do Yom Sayarot, the tests for the elite units. The army do not allow those who need to go to Michve to try out for the special units. However, I pushed and I pushed and I pushed. In the end, having written a letter to the army explaining my motivation, I received my official summons to Yom Sayarot. This is not something I take for granted; I have fought for this and I will give my all to the tests. My thanks go to Garin Tzabar and my Mashakiot (soldiers with our garin) for helping me so much along the way.


My official summons to Yom Sayarot

I have been dreaming of this opportunity for years, and now it's here. Next week are the tests, and they will be grueling physical tests. They are a day or two full of sprints up sand dunes, crawling, sprints with weights, and group exercises. At the end of the tests, if you succeed you could be asked to come back and test for specific special forces units in their own gibbushim. There are gibbushim for Shayetet 13, Sayeret Matkal, and each have offshoots for units like Shaldag, Unit 669 etc. However, even finishing Yom Sayarot is an achievement. Many people have given me often conflicting advice on Yom Sayarot. However, all I can do is give my absolute all. In the end, this is a chance to serve my country at some of the highest levels. Will let you know how it goes! Until then, I'm resting up and preparing.

Here goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment