Thursday 8 August 2013

Aliyah...today is the day

The day has finally come, the day I've dreamed about and imagined since I was a boy. After all the goodbyes, my room is empty and my bags are packed. I have to say, today is an overwhelming one. It goes without saying that leaving behind loved ones and friends is not an easy thing to do. It has been the most difficult thing I have ever done.

Actions are far greater than words, so I will keep this post very brief and catch my flight. Besides, no words could do justice to how I feel on this day. But I will end with a quote from a great Zionist leader and doer. Upon the establishment of the State of Israel, David Ben-Gurion wrote to Chaim Weizmann, Israel's first President, thanking him for his tireless efforts in helping to establish the nascent State. In his response, Weizmann wrote:

"I am fully convinced that all who have and will become citizens of the Jewish State will strive their utmost to live up to the new opportunity which history has bestowed upon them."

Time to strive.

No comments:

Post a Comment