Thursday 15 August 2013

My New Home

The pasts two days have been mad to say the least - I have made Aliyah, given a speech to hundreds of people, met my new Garin and moved into my new home on Kibbutz Lavi. Here are the details.

So Tuesday night I landed in Israel. I can't explain the feeling of seeing the lights of Tel Aviv in the distance as we approached the airport. There is no feeling like it. I could just imagine generations and generations of Olim catching that first glimpse of Israel. What a feeling.

After landing, I went to fill in paperwork (which took hours and hours) and was lucky enough to have a little welcoming party waiting for me! That night I stayed at my family in Ra'anana and I had to be at Tel Aviv University for the Garin Tzabar opening ceremony the next morning.

Before coming to Israel, I was asked to give a speech at the ceremony at which Prime Minister Netanyahu was supposed to be attending. He recently had an operation, so Mrs. Bibi ended up going in his place. There were all sorts of dignitaries there and it was a privilege and unbelievable honour to have been asked to speak.

At the ceremony I met my Garin for the first time. I was nervous at first because I didn't know how I would settle in. I hadn't been with them for the seminars and they already knew each other, but my nerves were pointless. I've joined a great Garin and I'm enjoying getting to know them all.

Most of the things we're doing until Rosh Hashanah are geared towards introducing us to the Kibbutz and Kibbutz life. For now, I'll be getting my bearings around my new home.


My new, humble home.

No comments:

Post a Comment