Saturday 23 November 2013

Yom Giyus and Trom Tironut

The last few days have seemed like a week, but I'm absolutely loving it in Nachal.

Wednesday was Yom Giyus, the day I drafted into the army. It was a long day but I did enjoy it. Firstly I was taken by Garin Tzabar to the Lishkat Giyus in Tiveria, where I had my Tzav Rishon. From there, there was a bus that took all us נחלאווים (Nachal boys) to the Bakum. The Bakum, or Tel Hashomer base, is where you officially get enlisted. There, we were told to drop our bags in a storage room and then taken to lunch (the food at the Bakum is nicer than my base). What followed was a series of stations - photo, mouth x-ray, injections (4), head x-ray, DNA sample, receiving your Choger, or army ID, giving the army your personal and bank details, a few other stations I just can't remember, and finally receiving your uniform.

From the Bakum we made our way to the base, Bach Nachal. It was an exciting feeling sitting there with my new uniform - I'd waited such a long time for it. Once we got to the base we were introduced to our Mefakdim (commanders) who are to be with us during this period called Trom Tironut, or pre-basic training. During Trom Tironut the atmosphere is a lot more relaxed than how it will be during Tironut, and whilst everything is to the clock, the Mefakdim are very nice to us (this period lasts until after the gibbush, when we are sorted into our specific units). That night we had a talk with the deputy head of the base, filled out a whole load of forms, and signed some more forms. I have to admit, half of the Hebrew I barely understood, but I figured I'd just sign where I was told to.

The next morning we had the Bar-Or fitness test. This test is to see who can and cannot try out for the Sayeret unit this coming week, and consists of sit-ups, push-ups and a 2km run. I pushed myself very hard and was happy with my result. After lunch (we didn't eat breakfast), we recieved our Bet uniform, or work uniform. I was one of the lucky few whose uniform actually fit them! 


That night we were put to bed early and woken up at 4am. We were given 5 mins to get up, dressed, brush teeth and be out in the Chet. We spent the next couple of hours cleaning the tent, putting all our equipment away, and standing in the Misdar Yetziah (leaving check). Because I live north of Hadera, I was allowed to leave slightly earlier than those living in the centre or south of the country, although not by much!

I made my way to my kibbutz and my garin, and whilst I was SO excited to see them all and be back on kibbutz, I'm also excited to return to the base on Sunday.


First Shabbat home

Next week is my gibbush for the Gadsar. It's going to be a difficult and long week, but I'm going to give it all I have. Will just have to make sure that despite my inevitable exhaustion I remember all the details for the blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment